Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Why I Love Romance Novels

I love to read.

That statement is quite a "Duh" moment for anyone who knows me. But what a lot of people may not know is this:
I love to read Romance Novels.

This may surprise some people. It may even dismay others--sorry Mom. But before any judgments are too ingrained, let me explain.

I'm not necessarily talking just about what I call "Bodice-Rippers." Those novels that go from one steamy scene to another with little to no plot in between. Novels where it's obvious the author writes with a thesaurus open next to her keyboard. How many synonyms are there for passionate anyway? Not to mention all the other, um, interesting synonyms they find. These books can be great for a laugh or to use as a guide on how not to seduce your spouse. But they don't exactly move my heart and soul the way a good book should. Plus there are too many pages that I need to skip over. :)

No, the books I love have more plot than steam. They have characters that face dilemmas. People I can understand and care about. Emotions I can connect with. Two people that are just as flawed as I am trying to make it to happily ever after.

And that, really, is the reason I read Romance. That guaranteed happy ending. The boy will get the girl (or vice-versa). The problems will be overcome. The misunderstandings resolved; the fears faced; and the hope, joy, and love embraced. There aren't many things better than a story with a happy ending.

There are a lot of books and authors that fit my definition of a Romance Novel. Jane Austen has never let me down. L. M. Montgomery, even Charlotte Bronte in Jane Eyre. And, of course, there's plenty to pick from in modern fiction. Almost too many to really appreciate. It's no secret that I love the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer (at least it really shouldn't be to anyone reading this blog). Enthusiasm is another of my favorites in the Young Adult category. I hesitate to start naming more books or authors for fear that I may never be able to stop. Although if any of you have either authors or books to suggest, I'm always open to that.

Suffice it to say that if it is well-written, involves characters that are well-developed, avoids obvious preaching, and ends with a boy and girl (or man and woman) getting together, it's probably on my list. There is enough bad news already in the world. I don't want to read a novel mired down in it.

Thank goodness for Romance Novels

4 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

Have you ever read "These Is My Words"? Its wonderful. If you've read it, you should come to book club. If you haven't - start it now and come to book club. If you don't want to read it - come to book club anyway! :)

Melanie Norwood's. 7:00 pm Jan. 27th. Love ya!

Robin B said...

I like Romance Books too. I would recommend Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wered. A little romance, a little fantasy, some humor and a happily ever after.

Well maybe some of it is in book 2.

I also loved These Is My Words.

Megatha said...

I have read These Is My Words. It's been a while, but I loved it! I laughed, I cried, it was wonderful. Karin, I'll try to make Book Club--getting out of the house is getting harder all the time. Robin, thanks for the new book recommendation. I'll have to check it out.

~yoga~ said...

I too, love a happy ending.