Friday, March 4, 2011

Simple Pleasures--A Sleeping Child

There is something divine about a sleeping child. And I mean that in the most religious way possible. I think when a child is sleeping is when I can most clearly see them through the eyes of God's love. And not only because when they're asleep they aren't covering everything with jam, or wailing like howler monkeys, or asking for snacks they're never going to eat.

When my children sleep, I can see them without the distraction of my own reactions. I can see the hope and peace stored within them--a gift from Heavenly Father. I can see their personalities shine through too. Zippy always tangles himself in his blankets. He can't seem to be still even in sleep. Munchkin stretches her legs and arms out as far as they can go. She wants to be everywhere all at once. Little Man snuggles any blankets or toys that are in reach, and curls up onto his stomach--little bottom in the air. He's my lovey, snuggly child.

Right now, I'm especially grateful to have sleeping children. For the moment, they are all sleeping deeply and peacefully. After 3 weeks of sickness, that is a small miracle.

No comments: