Sunday, January 31, 2010

Comfort Food

I woke up this morning to a not good, very bad, horrible day. It didn't help that it's been nearly a week since I was able to do anything productive. Little Man has had a fever since Tuesday morning. He's either been nursing, sleeping, or hysterically crying. And the nusing and sleeping didn't last nearly as long as I would like. I haven't even had a chance to buy groceries.

So, this morning when he woke up at 5:30 am, I was grumpy. And tired. And seriously craving some comfort food. But, since it's Sunday, I didn't want to go to the store for anything. But I remembered that I had heard of a dish called potato knish on a show about potatoes the other day. (And don't ask why I watched a full hour program about potatoes--I couldn't explain it now if I tried) When I found a recipe, it sounded even better. Especially since I already had everything I would need to make it.

Fast forward a couple hours to when Little Man finally falls asleep again, and Zippy and Munchkin are watching a movie. I went to the kitchen, worked for a while, and came ended up with these:




Oh Lands. Oh my. Oh Oh Oh OOOOOOOOOOOH. One bite and, glory be, it's like I've died and gone to Forks!

This is the finest comfort food ever!!! I can't wait to tinker with the recipe and figure out what else I can do with these little packets of goodness. But for today, this simple version flavored with cheese and thyme were perfection. Bliss. Nearly good enough that, were I actually eating them in Forks, I might simply float away into the ether. Except these hearty parcels will keep you firmly planted on the ground--nice and heavy and solid.

They're basically bundles of mashed potatoes wrapped up with other bits of goodness inside a sort-of pastry. mmmmmmmmmmmm. I could eat them all day. And paired with home-canned peaches and pears, they make one satisfying comfort lunch. With the added benefit of making me feel all Suzy Homemaker for a few minutes.

Z-Man better hope I don't get hungry again before he gets home--otherwise he'll just have to wait until next time.

3 comments:

Christy said...

I'm so sorry your little man has been sick. That's rotten!! If there is anything I can do to help out, please let me know.

As for the little bits of goodness... they look AMAZING!! You should post the recipe, so that the rest of us can die and go to forks with you.

Miss you!

Jeremy B said...

We watched that same potato show! We weren't brave enough to try making Knishes though. Way to go!

Kathy Habel said...

Yum.