Friday, March 19, 2010

Laugh or Cry

Mom often said, "You can laugh or you can cry." As a teenager, I always resented it when she said it. I thought she was telling me I should be able to control my emotions with cool efficiency. Of course I also spent a lot of my time crying.

Now that I'm, well, maybe not grown up, but certainly older, I can hear Mom saying it in my head. "You can laugh or you can cry." I realize now that she never meant I shouldn't ever cry. Sometimes that systemic purge is exactly what's called for. Mom just meant that, if you can back away enough to find humor, situations lose their power to derail you.

Last night I found myself close to tears, and I heard Mom. I decided I needed help, so I call AmyO. Our conversation started like this:

Me: I need you to remind me I'm not a loser even though I'm here at WalMart at 9 at night buying diapers and butter.

Amy: surprised silence. . . .then loud laughter

It was just what I needed. I needed to see that Little Man at home naked (I was out of diapers after all) and probably trying to pee on Z-Man was funny, not tragic. And that me walking through Walmart carrying butter and diapers, wearing no makeup, and sporting unshaved legs was something to giggle over.

So thanks, Mom, for the advice I'm finally trying to take. And thanks, Amy, for helping me laugh.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

HA! Now I knwo why you didn't like my response today! Being old doesn't equal being a loser.... It just means we have hit the time frame where things like Butter and diapers require us to go to walmart at 9 pm.... w/o makeup and w/unshaven legs! Lol!

Kathy Habel said...

I no longer buy diapers but I do often go to walmart with no make up and unshaven legs!

Georgia said...

Meg, its like we share the same life!!! Well... I don't buy diapers anymore, but other than that :D

xoxxo

Amy said...

♥ you!!!